RULES OF THE KINGDOM
We are a Medieval/Renaissance Fantasy Based Game with grounding in Realism.
The game of Heathfield is Honeee, it is her background story created over a good many years. It is not something that can be taken over, copied, changed, or misused by anyone else. It is copyrighted to me. I will protect what I have spent years on.
To give one interested in joining an idea of what we are about: We are here to have fun. Unlike some I am not here to bash, trash, stalk or get nasty just because we have a difference of opinion. I do have to address situations as they come up because I run this game. It is not something to take personal as in some kind of an attack on you, although some are so thin skinned they think anything said their way in question is an attack. I can conduct myself properly, nicely, but some here cannot. Too many are like that here and what has gotten us to be cautious in who we let in. Even with that caution we still ended up with some base nasty minded people who cant conduct themselves any other way than lashing out even if things are interpreted wrong. It has gotten to that point with some so desperate to carry on their tradition of hate towards others to assume they are being wronged. Worse, some of these players come back under false names and pretenses just to do it all over again. Yet they have the nerve to call others liars when their whole circumstance is a lie.
It is for these reasons we need to have a criteria to have one to get in as a member. Though we will continue to roleplay with those coming into our public rooms to have fun without them needing to be a member. Becoming a member does have its benefits over not such as getting more involved in major storylines we have running.
Real Life is pretty harsh and coming here to write in the venue of playing characters, I do not feel I need to make their lives based on Real Life. This is not real life and not governed by Real Life. I happen to like Walt Disney, his ideas and ideals. Such is a nice escape from real life. Although if one likes to play as harsh as real life can be, to each his fancy but don't ditz another because they prefer not to as we wont ditz you. Really, there should be not ditzing at all -- that's the point. It boggles my mind with so many that are here just to be rotten to others. To act like they have the right to analyze and bash another for their own shortcomings. We do not feel our characters need to hook up to exist or they don't have a storyline. If you're coming with that purpose in mind, best find another place to play.
I play many characters here. I play more than one at a time if needed. The other main players do the same. I am not the only one. It is not something 'dirty', 'corrupt', or even a secret, so get over it for those who go whispering like it was doing something wrong. We play males and females no matter our gender. We are writers, we are not our characters. Some can't really tell the difference but consider their character a 'real' extension of themselves so it would be creepy to have your female opposite a male played by a female, like that would make you lesbian. Sorry, we are way past that simple minded outlook. If you are one that has trouble with others playing many characters or playing an opposite gender, playing more than one at a time, then don't come here. It's that simple. If you have trouble separating yourself from your written character, don't come here. If you need a lot of singular attention paid to you or only romance (as a goal not a byproduct of play if it happens), then don't come here.
We have mystical creatures here, kingdom of Light, Good, so characters of the Dark would not work here, if played correctly. Vampires, werewolves, evil monster types, slavers, machine types and anime types would not fit in here on the norm. We don't have cartoon characters here like kitty girl or fox boy. This doesn't mean we don't have our bad guys, fighting and so forth but they are not in the main rooms but in Storylines such as the Kildare one.
If you have no problems with the above mention and don't have an attitude problem, give it a try, you may well work out here. It is why we have a length of time for one to be around to see if it works for them and for us. From there it will be talking to you with two others here, out of character, to avoid out of character drama. We won't do it on you and we don't want it done on us. We're tired of the drama ones that came here - to them: don't come back.
Don't Come Here IF:
**You have trouble distinguishing
between real life and playing a fictional character.
Come Here IF:
**You love writing and want
all kinds of new challenges in writing, be it one character or expanding to a
multiple of them to fit into SLs and situations. Willing to explore multi-facet
ideas by others and contribute to them.
Still Interested in becoming a member?
It is recommended you role-play in our live rooms with other members around to determine if you fit in and would like to become a functioning part. We do not actively recruit. You may be offered a link to our webpage and message board if your around and participating and don't have them, this is not to recruit but give you the guidelines and see what we are about. We have evolved into a writers group, not a guild, no forum. The structure is entirely my own. You should find all answers to your questions here. Our message board is 'proof' of the kind of imaginative writers that participate in this environment.
Another important aspect is to realize that trust is something earned as a writer here. Joining doesn't necessarily have you right in the main stream of things, your continual conduct and participation will have you gradually there...or not. Patience is a virtue and the kind of writer you are does prove itself over time. Many proved, in spite of their words to differ, they only here really to gain a 'mate' or cause trouble ooc. Actions do speak louder than words. You will find most here very cautious in that area for many reasons. This does not mean it can't happen, it does mean those here as the main writers don't just jump into relationships for their characters but will stick with them if they do.
the TOS terms of AOL
all else ~ see keyword TOS. Procedure:
If you break these, aol can delete your account or at least warn you first if
a lesser infraction.
character you have here must be separate from any other games.
a conflict of interest otherwise. They can have friends in other games, visit,
and so forth but be played here most of the time and involved in this SL.
Otherwise consider moving them out than having them here. Your choice but not
both. This also includes having an active recruiting game under your
character that is not a part of Heathfield. You can have an npc family or ones
playing those members as being a part here in this Game, same as yours, but not
recruiting players from here to play those which are really a separate game of
Exception to this rule would be if a citizen here meets a citizen of allied lands and
they marry, then both would be associated with both games -- there is no
recruiting involved in this. --This does not mean that a
player who has a character in HF, can't have characters in other
games too, different characters. Their time here belongs to them. Although here
too, if one is hardly ever around for taking on too much, and not involved
with the castle play then it stands to reason to revoke the citizenship of
6. There is no recruiting in Heathfield rooms for other games, IC or OOC. If I find out a player in HF is actively recruiting others from here to another game or their own separate game, they will be removed and banned from being around us at all. This also holds for anyone coming in from another game to befriend ones here with the real agenda of recruiting. If you, as a member have someone coming in that IMs you OOC about joining their game or plays it out IC enticing your character come to their lands in a recruiting way, please ask them to leave. Or if anyone from said other game then IMs (indirect recruiting as if one from here gave names/sns) players or prospect players in HF to attempt recruiting, in that case all characters from said other game will be banned from HF rooms (if they come in they are immediately ejected) and if I find out who the one in HF is doing this, they will be asked to leave. This is a deceitful means of recruiting and I loathe such deceit. If someone wants to recruit, go open up a room for recruiting under your other character and game to keep it separate.
7. We do not accept Slavers or Evil based Characters as a member. We are kingdoms of the light and freedom so evil based characters would be very uncomfortable here if play realistically. If your character is a slaver/slave then I suggest you bring in a different kind of character to continue play here. If your character is a citizen here and becomes a slave or enslaves someone , they will be removed from the Castle. Do not expect anything different. If a slaver with a slave visits then the slave is treated as 'free' within our lands. We do have Evil characters used in storylines but they are not citizens of the castle though belong to this game.
* Vampires, constant back/forth shifters: as in a kitten on your male's lap becomes instantly a full grown female, animal types, slavers, totally modern characters, machine types, multi character sns, lost whining underage children, magic users of the presto kind -instant- ...do not fit in our environment.
8. It is expected that members of this group welcome all newcomers and show respect, unless they earn otherwise by their role-play actions. Remember -- there are always guards around in such a castle environment, use them to rid the room of those deserving, play out the guards on human abilities or wards on non-human abilities and eject any troublemakers. Use good judgment, send any log of behavior if needed to Lahoneee.
9. Anyone who has joined and not heard from within two months, not here, nothing said, will be automatically removed. If they come back and wish to return then they can speak with me on it. Most will have to go through as they had when first starting and that trial period. I will not chase players down who are not around, their absence says it all. An Exception to this rule would be allowing a longer period of time for someone that had been here many years with significant contribution to this game.
10. Fighting Rules: NO fighting in the Castle, Thistle Tavern or Balli Hi Pub unless by permission for an SL, otherwise the characters will be ejected. We do not use dice for fighting-sparing on the norm. We are freeform based. Format for such is under the tournament section. Dice is only used for games of chance and in allied games we participate who use them. There are rooms where play can be more rough such as in the port area.
11. Rules on Businesses, Land, Buildings: No lands or buildings are sold outright to anyone. Not even my characters. All lands/buildings belong to the respective Kingdoms that are a part of the Heathfield Game (ie: Ballicastle, Innis Daingneach, Kildare). A player's character may own their own business/name and all equipment they bring in with it. I stake no claims on family/business names or what is made or sold. They become proprietors or owner of the business but not the land or building their business is conducted in. A tithing is paid each month, reasonable 'assumed' amount. This is a decision I made many years ago to avoid any headaches on ones leaving keeping lands/buildings in my game or selling them to others outside the game. Not leaving holes, as in many as ten years and growing could have, not leaving much of Heathfield left land wise. Certainly I could just put it as all reverts back if a player leaves but this way it avoids it from the root in any problems. IE: Bovee Shipping: Andre Bovee and Pierre Lafayette (partners) own the name Bovee Shipping. They own all their goods/products kept in storage in their warehouses and main building, all monies made from renting out warehouses are theirs, keeping them secured. They own their own ships for the shipping part of their business. The partners pay a modest/reasonable tithing according to their profits each month (assumed, something like 10% of profits, not a set amount as businesses vary). They do not own the actual buildings nor land the buildings are on. It is one reason why the Crown is willing to build any new homes/businesses as necessary. Being I don't care to spend my time here as an accountant, it is why monies are usually assumed in play. The only deviation from this is the Heathfield Coins that can be used: See Money Link.
* Non-members can NOT assume a cottage or shop on Heathfield lands for their character to reside in, without being granted. Lands, shops, etc are granted to members only and with the stipulation if they leave such reverts back, more like leasing. It does not mean they can run npc tenders or guards as they wish or allude in a way as developing that npc's personality.
12. NPC characters here are mine to determine their personality beyond what is written on the web pages for tenders and guards. Guards would be stoic and efficient. NPC characters here are not for anyone's use as some confident knowing their whole life story. Beware, what the tenders are allowed to know of your character because then Honeee can know for they are loyal to her and the crown alone. There are other players here that have permission to run them by me, they are few and know who they are. The exceptions are npc characters here of other players' families or ones brought in by a visitor. Those too would have to be played by the rules set up here. Those npc characters belong to their creators. If in doubt, ask me first, this is always best. As far as npc characters on the webpages that are castle owned, they will be given out to players that are already part of the game, members here by invitation from me if they should like one to try.
*Please use the MAP in reference to distances and places. As in a visitor cannot come from a town just above Heathfield for no nonmembers live in the areas covered by the game of Heathfield. Ballicastle and and Tyremoor are directly above Heathfield, so the MAP is important to use in reference for your play. It is why it was made. Eventually more layouts will be made such as for the Thistle Tavern and the Commons.
Important Note: For these guideline rules, each case is different and I CAN bend some of these rules accordingly for those who have contributed over many years in helping this game to grow. This might be considered favoritism but it is an earned rewarding for that contribution. This still will not apply to major basic rules such as recruiting other players here to another game. I also have the right to add or change rules as time goes on, as I have as this game grew. This does not mean I wont be fair to everyone, it means I will be more generous to ones that deserve it for their actions and deeds in helping me over time. In short, I will be fair in dealing with situations that come up accordingly with all background information, much of which is not privy to all players, so don't assume all things are equal. If you have been here a year, don't expect to get some of the same privileges as one that has been here five years and a contributing player to the whole of the game. Contributing means, creating SLs that many can get involved in, not just a personal one. It means one willing to help play out a major SLs created, adding ideas, supporting cast. It also means asking. I am always willing to add another player to a major SL if they have logical cause for their character getting involved. It also means asking me about running a major SL, needing help or seeing if the other players find it interesting enough. I will never pressure or try to force one to do any SL they do not wish to.
Those who come into our rooms and engage in play are considered permission granted to be left in any logs posted on our Message Board. Members of HF who play elsewhere and wish to post the play will ask permission of those involved and if not granted either be summarized or left out. All play ones becomes engaged in becomes a part of that character's history, which can be summarized as the other player(s) have the right not for you to use their writing even if the experiences are your character's to keep.
Castle Owned Characters:
Barrett, deBurgh, McAndrews, Frasier, O'Neill, Alterians - MacNeils, McDonough, MacShire, Cunningham, McCormick, Shawnesey, Kearney, MacKinlay, Traugott, alAzhar, alDawla, Sibio, Cleary, Valdez, Callihan, Quinn, Edan. Those of the family of Lahoneee and Amberlette of Heathfield, along with the family of Ballicastle and Innis Daingneach are characters and basic Storylines owned by me (player of Lahoneee). Those given out to players to play are not 'kept' as their own if they leave (sns are not 'owned'). This is why if one player leaves and another is given the character to take over the new link to the correct character will be on the webpages and noted in their profile.
Those of the Douglas family, Kingsmen - Four horsemen - Garath Lyons, Vincent deBeauvais, Trevor Cairns, Lazare Carno and Dana deVimeure. are owned by the player of King Karl.
Summary on Castle Owned Characters -- To clarify, these characters given out --on loan-- to others are created as part of the game here (Heathfield, Ballicastle, Innis Daingneach, Tyremoor and Kildare). This entails that if they should get involved with others in other game environments -- they cannot join another game, they cannot be moved in residence into another game even if they marry another from that game. Their residence is to remain in this game where and for which they were created. They can visit other places, they can share time there but their participation should be 80% here, in the very least within this game and SLs should be posted within this game MB also. They are to be played with their family members if needed. They are not loners (not played with their family). Otherwise it defeats the purpose of setting up these family characters as part of this game. If you find you wish to join another game environment, make a new sn for that game. It is a falsehood in the accusation that I begrudge players to play elsewhere, I do begrudge a castle owned character to be taken elsewhere that do not 'belong' to that player as their own character creation would. There are drawbacks to playing a castle owned character, so take this into consideration before taking one on. Otherwise, there are just as many pluses too in playing one.
If a castle owned character should marry and have children within this game genre, they reserve the right to keep any children born to them within this game if the other person should leave, divorce or in short, characters separate. It is still under the ideal of keeping that which came of this game within the game.
Notes: There may be families within Heathfield that are not my property nor do I take care of their webpages or selecting of players. They are expected to follow the rules set up here in due respect.
There are other games such as Devonshires, Moors and Telarus which we have a Association of Nations Treaty with, file under News. This setup is different from the other listed above as it is a game of its own entirety. One that is not linked into Heathfield but friendly relations established for social events and the like.
Writings, Characters and Ownership Clarification:
I do not claim any kind of ownership of writings done by others within the Heathfield group posted on our message board or otherwise. Writings belong to their writers. The only ownership I claim are my own and the characters belonging to families I developed or were given to me by their writers. In the same light, none of my writing under any character, be it one for another family played on loan, can be used without my permission for any kind of profit, as in a book. If one comes in with a character they developed it is theirs plus their writings even if they leave. I do not make claims to them unless given permission. This applies to families developed within this group if they should leave, they are theirs to take wherever they want. The ones claimed are listed above although another playing one of those characters I would make no claims to writings done under them as my own. Another player coming in to take over an abandoned character can refer to things done as a history of that character if they so choose or just wipe the slate clean and start from scratch.
This is what I got out of the AOL Policies stated in legal terms: Copyright belongs to the individual writers but AOL reserves the right to use anything posted, say in advertising or such, as they wish. Not saying AOL claims ownership as in copyrights of works written by its members.
Role Play Levels (RPL#s)
This system been developed to ensure the rights of writers/players and their characters. They are indicated in your profile as one of these: RPL#1, RPL#2, RPL#3 or RPL#4. The definitions listed below:
Normal/regular interaction should not be a problem, the problems arise when a
player of a character starts to like another player's character romantically.
I want to know if the player is the opposite gender of the character played even if it wouldn't stop me from being with them in an intimate
Or, I may care about whom the player is if its one that has stalked my
characters or myself before, or any form of harassment OOC.
Joining/Application: We do not actively recruit as in IM and Email solicitations. If you have a friend looking for a place, you can direct them here. There is a difference in being asked and directing them here over going out and asking others from other games to come to your game or one you're in from this game. We do not recruit players from other castles with that in mind. If one approaches us then that is different. It's all in how something is done that makes the difference. If you have gotten this far, below is the link for the application of interest.
Please bolt-eject from
our rooms the following sns:
If any member here has a question of why these sns are on this list, contact me and I'll tell you why. They fall under such categories as: stalking, totally nasty skitzo-maniac, imposter and recruiting/luring players from our rooms.
------- EXTRA CLARIFICATION -------
Heathfield Members/Guests Guidelines:
Those considered minors (under 18) should not get involved in sexual situations
with adults even in writing as such is against real laws. It is
considered corruption of minors even if in today's society minors seem to know
far too much. The law had been made to protect innocence (few are innocent even
young anymore) now there are more cases where the adults need to be protected
from the minors exploiting them in an environment one can lie. Adults here
should prevent such if you know. If one is caught lying about their age so they
can engage in sexual written situations they will be told to leave this game.
The adult who was lied to, will not be asked to leave.
Welcome to Heathfield. Are you aware of the setting and rules of this game? If not a link can be provided.
--If they are not then provide the link to the webpage only suggesting to read the rules foremost. If they show further interest you can provide them with MB link in that it speaks for itself in the kind of writers here. We are not just a MB or live play game but a combination of both. I tend not to just hit someone coming in the room with links and such for a few reasons -- Some might feel its harassing to IM them with links. We also do not actively recruit so do not want it to seem it is more that than information. Many are aware of the game and its rules even if we don't recognize the sn. I do not ask, nor is it required, for anyone IMing with this information to get into an ooc chat with the individual beyond the information of the game or answering such questions.--
(These rules may be modified-updated as necessary)